Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Geeky Recording Stuff

I always love finding out how different musicians record sounds and what kind of toys they use to do it. I've been recording a lot at home lately in my bedroom. I started playing around with Cubase a while back after seeing what Jordan could do with it. I have a very simple setup compared to most people and usually just plug my guitar or whatever straight into the sound interface, then use modeling software and whatever other cool plugins I come across. I love experimenting with different VST plugins. Anyway, I came across this cool video of Jimmy Tamborello showing off his entire setup. He's the dude from Postal Service and DNTEL. I've always loved his production work and it turns out he's a Cubase guy too. Check it out if this type of stuff interests you.





Also, here's a video clip of Chandler talking about his drums. I love the bleed through of the band in the practice space next to ours. Power chord riffs, fresh for 2008. (Quicktime Video: Click Here)

1 comment:

Sven said...

As a passionate home recording artist I also love reading about other people's recording setups and methods. Like this video and the Sufjan Stevens article, I also think your way is interesting. Sometimes I use the same stuff (VSTs, guitar plugged in directly, Cubase...) and so I know you can get really good results with it. But lately I was getting tired of sitting in front of a screen to make music so I bought a vintage Tascam 4-Track tape recorder... Couldn't find the time yet, but my plan is to lock myself into a friend's rehearsal space for a few days and record 1980s-style. :P