Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Walkmen | Vampire Weekend

I went to see this show on Sunday at The Earl. It had been sold out for a number of weeks. I bought the tickets a while back, mainly looking forward to The Walkmen. In the weeks leading up to the show the Vampire Weekend buzz began spiraling out of control, so I was curious to see what they were all about too. I have to admit I was impressed. Despite a few technical problems, which led to some clever stage banter, Vampire Weekend played a solid set of their pop/ska/afro/whatever it is tunes. These guys seem genuinely likable and it's hard to deny how catchy their music is. It was a bit strange seeing them in a barely 200+ capacity room when they had played in front of millions of people on Saturday Night Live the night before. They joked about having only played to a room full of ten people the last time they were in Atlanta. I doubt they'll be playing a room that small the next time they come through town.

I've been a fan of The Walkmen ever since their first album. I've seen them live multiple times and have always been impressed. I was really surprised at how much the crowd thinned out after Vampire Weekend played. I couldn't help but think to myself how stupid these people were for leaving before such a great band was about to take the stage, only showing up to see the flavor of the moment then quickly exiting the building. Oh well, their loss. It made it much easier to get close to the stage and have my face thoroughly rocked. The Walkmen played a great set with the perfect balance of old and new material. Hamilton Leithhauser was sporting a classic double breasted blazer and tie that put Vampire Weekend's preppy outfits to shame. This guy basically demands attention from the moment he takes the stage, taking huge gulps of beer between belting his heart out like this is the last time he'll ever be able to get his sentiment across. The older material had the biggest impact, new stuff was good too though. Atlanta show staple Kenny was front and center loving every minute of it, as was the rest of the crowd that made the wise choice to stay and witness The Walkmen.

Sorry I was too lazy to bring my camera and snap any pics.

No comments: