Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thanks + Cao Fang | In Summer

Thanks to everyone who came out to The Earl Sunday for the breast cancer benefit, and to all the bands and everyone involved. It was a great turn out for a rainy Sunday night and we raised a bunch of money for a good cause. Thanks again.

Completely unrelated... I never thought a GE commercial would cause me to become obsessed with a song, but after seeing the ad a couple times during the Olympics I am now completely hooked by this tune. It's called "In Summer" by Cao Fang, a Chinese singer/songwriter. The whole song is only one minute and ten seconds long, but the melody has permanently lodged itself into my head and will not let go. It's like Cat Power, Iron & Wine, Kings of Convenience, Nick Drake and Feist all rolled into one and re-interperted by this Chinese girl. I don't know much about her, but apparently her nickname is Icy. Um, ok. Here's the rough English translation and mp3.


Listen to the children playing
Listen to the children playing

Listen to the children play in the summer

I've got something I should say,
but it won't come out my way

Summer's slipping away,
let
me stay in your heart today

4 comments:

AkimotoMitsuki said...

Just wanted to give you a better translation of the song that I translated myself... (yes, I'm Chinese)

Children are swinging on the swing set
Children are swinging on the swing set
Children are swinging on the swing set in the summer
I want to say, but won't come out of my mouth
Summer's time is slipping away
Let me live in your heart for a little while

Dave said...

Oh cool. Thanks for clarifying that.

Anonymous said...

been looking for this gracias

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the translation. Now we need to get Ms. Fang to do a full version of this...