Sunday, December 9, 2007

Atlanta Got Burnt



So, last week we played the big Stomp & Stammer anniversary party. It was a lot of fun. Despite the fact that we hadn't played a show in a while, I think we did ok. Chandler has these drum pads setup now so he can trigger a sampler we have loaded with all kinds of different sound textures. The drummer from Peter Bjorn & John does something very similar. When I first saw what he could do with it in our practice space I became really excited at the thought of how we could expand our live sound using it. It worked like a charm the first time around. The other bands were great that night too. The Selmanaires were really vibing and played a fantastic set. Deerhunter had some equipment issues, but still sounded great I thought. Their whole aesthetic with the lights and presentation is just really tight. Bradford told me backstage this could possibly be one of their final Atlanta shows. I really hope not. Black Lips were awesome as usual. They get doused with so much beer I don't see how they keep from getting electrocuted. Overall it was a great night at a sold out Variety Playhouse... and despite what some people may think of him, you have to hand it to Jeff Clark for putting out a magazine that everyone in the music scene around here picks up and reads on a monthly basis. You either love or hate his brutal honesty, but you still read it regardless. Props to him and Alex from OK Productions
for putting on such a great night of local music.

edit: Some great pics from that night can be found @ Ohmpark

8 comments:

Chadwayne said...

When do you think you guys will be back in Oklahoma?

Dave said...

We'll be touring again at some point next year. I don't have any solid dates yet though. Just keep checking back.

Chadwayne said...

Will do! I can't wait. You guys are one of my favorite bands. I'm trying to spread the word out about you guys!

Biggiec said...

Here's a link to the photos I took from that night. This was my first time seeing you guys live and it was great.

http://ohmpark.com/2007/12/photos-black-lips-deerhunter-snowden.html

Dave said...

Oh cool. Those are great pics biggie. Thanks for the link. Cool blog too, btw.

Clockwise Cat said...

I loved all the bands, but you all were really spectacular, a true standout. The Selmanaires sounded much better live than on record, Deerhunter was crazily mesmerizing, and the Black Lips were raunchy rowdy fun. But I was truly blown away by your power and POLISH live. Corinne is a gem! I love her, and all of you.

When Bradford said it could be the last Atlanta show, did he mean the last show in Atlanta but they would play elsewhere, or the last show for Deerhunter, period?

Either way, seems odd. Why would they play in other places and not Atlanta - or why would they break up? With such a landmark album as Cryptograms, I can't imagine why they would break up...

Anyway, LOVE you guys and gal. LOVE Snowden - your ability to merge post-punk and shoegaze and sound late 1970s/early 1980s England and yet paradoxically transcend time and genre is awe-inspiring.

Clockwise Cat said...

PS you transcend genre, time and PLACE - I meant to say that latter part too

PPS I am definitely spreading the word about Snowden - you have some new converts across the pond!

Dave said...

Whoa. Thanks for all the kind words clockwise. As for what Bradford said, he didn't really elaborate. We only spoke briefly. I assume since he's about to put a solo record out and start touring that Deerhunter won't be active for a while. Who really knows though?